- It covered up the lower-half of the application as you used it.
- You couldn't easily revert back to the best performing regular expression. Or you had to rely on your memory to know what performed best.
Well I think I managed to come up with a pretty good solution for both problems. First, you'll notice that the benchmarking feature now sits in its own panel below the rest of the UI. If your screen resolution isn't high enough there will be a vertical scroll bar so you can still scroll to see everything.
And then to solve the second problem I knew I needed to make some bigger changes. I realized that a configurable number of iterations was adding unnecessary complexity. Instead I simply run the benchmark for one second. And now we can rely solely on the iterations per second figure. And then I decided to go the bar graph route. Each time you hit "Start" to run a benchmark, a new bar is added to the graph. You can then click a bar and the regular expression, target string, replacement string, and regex options will all be set to the exact state represented by that bar. This makes it exceptionally easy to make incremental changes and ultimately find the combination that performs the best.